Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Leaving on a jet plane


There are a million things that run through your head when you get a dreaded diagnosis like cancer.  First of all the big long term issues like your own mortality flood your awareness.  Then you try to process how it will impact your day-to-day life in all the smaller but still significant ways.  Once I realized my course of treatment would include a summer full of chemotherapy one of the things that upset me the most was the possibility that I would not be able to attend my niece’s wedding in Mexico.  I did not know how well I would tolerate the chemo, if there would be complications or even if you are “allowed” to travel in the middle of treatment.

While it has been no walk in the park, I have tolerated chemo fairly well and have not had any significant complications.   While Dr. Singh was quite fearful of the crime situation in Mexico he did not see any medical reasons for me not to go.  So – knock on wood, knock on wood, knock on wood – tomorrow morning, bright and early, I should be on an airplane in route to Cancun.

I will report back when slathered in sunscreen, sitting under a large umbrella, and drinking a virgin margarita on the beach.


No comments:

Post a Comment